Rock Out With Your...

This is about anything and everything. Music, news, some political, things I or my friends see, or just about anything talked about during the course of the day. I am also very interested in the Russian culture, so expect some of that as well. I might offend some people on this site, but I don't care. Remember, "Rock Out With Your Cock Out!"

22 November 2005

Call Me a Crybaby

I HATE the Holidays. Really, for two reasons. One: The job that I currently have gets busy during this time of year (the week leading up to) and Two: I am expected to listen to songs that don't relate to my specific holiday season, for more than two months, to celebrate a holiday (Christmas) that has more to do with Winter Solstice and the changing of the year, than any religious phenomena.

Let me explain. Tomorrow, I have a fugly day ahead of me because of Thanksgiving. Those summer work hours are back with a vengeance. To recap the week, 12 hours on Monday, 13 hours for today, and probably 14+ hours for tomorrow. Thanksgiving for me is about not working my ass off, for at least one day (not that I have much of an ass to begin with).

The second, and really the more important reason for my hatred, is the whole commercialization of the season. Why did Christmas commercials start before Halloween? Why do stores in CA decorate their spaces with snowflakes, sleighs, snowmen and all of the other crap? When was the last time that someone rode their one-horse-open-sleigh in the Central Valley of CA? Why are we in the west a slave to the music that is better suited to those areas (of the east and midwest) that get snow?

A White Christmas? Yeah, the frost on my roof. Chestnuts on an open fire? Do you have a CA burn permit for that fire? I never even saw a chestnut until I was in high school. Sleighs? Where? I didn't see a sleigh in person until I was twenty-six. What good does it do here? Why should I give a baboon's purple ass about any "winter" tradition that was started in New England?

Why does the church celebrate Jesus' birth at the end of December, when historical record puts his actual birth somewhere in the month of February?

Excuse my rhetorical questioning rant. I just really dispise this time of year.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home