Rock Out With Your...

This is about anything and everything. Music, news, some political, things I or my friends see, or just about anything talked about during the course of the day. I am also very interested in the Russian culture, so expect some of that as well. I might offend some people on this site, but I don't care. Remember, "Rock Out With Your Cock Out!"

30 August 2005

Racial Topic

I got into this great discussion today with a man that I work with. His ancestors came from Africa, mine from Europe. A brief clip of the conversation and some notes:

This discussion started from his words, "I am an African American".

"Really", said I, "you were born in Africa?"

"No, Mercey"

"So, you are just an American. Like me."

"No, not like you. You are white."

"So, because I was born in Ash Tree and you were born in Mercey, and the added effect that I am white, means that we are not both Americans?" (Twisted logic, to be sure).

"You won't say that I am African-American?"

"No, I won't. Just because my ancestors are from Europe that doesn't make me European-American." (To quote Andy Rooney). "I am an American, that is all and enough."

"Well I am an American too, but I am black."

"So?"

This topic went on for quite a while. He kept telling me that he is 'African-American' and I just said 'American'.

So, my questions to the blogsphere are these: Why does this come down to race? Why can we not all just be Americans?

When I was growing up, we had two middle-class black kids, two middle-class white kids, two middle-class half Caucasian/half Hispanic kids, some white trash kids, and a half Hispanic/half Italian kid living in the neighborhood, all about the same age. We didn't discriminate between colors or money. We were all just American kids playing together.

I fear that the days of terrorism are just going to continue, if we as an American people do not let go of the hate over colors and become "One Nation Under God".

2 Comments:

  • At 31 August, 2005 11:03 , Blogger Kent said...

    I'm glad you work hard. Actually I think you could work even more hours. Someone has to support me, after all.

     
  • At 31 August, 2005 17:25 , Blogger Earth Rooster said...

    prufr0ck - I just have a hard time with a few cultures that always refer to themselves by this national identity. They are three plus generations removed from immigration, yet still refer to themselves as something else. How are we as a population to ever overcome this problem? You are right, in that the leaders need to make a concerted effort to stop telling them that they are different. Thanks for the comments.

    Kent - I don't support you, that's your Mom. (And a small inheritance)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home